What is Viton®?
Viton® rubber is a family of high-performance fluoroelastomers with a wide range of exceptional properties. While the name Viton® is a registered trademark of the DuPont company, this material is also referred to by its ASTM name, FKM. Viton® fluoroelastomers are uniquely suited for creating precision-molded rubber parts. Viton® seals, O-rings, and gaskets are used in many applications that require advanced chemical, temperature, and ozone resistance.
Viton® is a highly valued material in part due to the ease of fabrication it provides, with characteristics like excellent mold release, increased mold flow, improved extrusion performance, and many other beneficial characteristics. This fluoroelastomer family of materials is used throughout many demanding industries including aerospace, defense, semiconductor manufacturing, medical and chemical processing. Here, we’ll discuss the benefits of Viton®, as well as the most common products it’s used to make.
Benefits of Viton® Fluoroelastomer
Viton® fluoroelastomers are renowned for their impressive capabilities, including:
- High temperature resistance. Compared to many other elastomers, Viton® is uniquely suited to withstanding both high and low temperatures while retaining its mechanical properties. It can hold up under extreme temperatures ranging between -15 °F to 400 °F, making it suitable for use in many demanding environments.
- Excellent chemical resistance. Viton® is resistant to oils, fuels, acids, and many other chemicals. This ability significantly adds to its longevity and reliability.
- Superior sealing properties. Viton® is exceptional at providing a water-tight seal and features excellent fluid resistance. This characteristic makes it a preferred choice for preventing leaks in critical to function applications.
- High tensile strength and durability. Viton® provides much greater strength and durability than other rubber materials. In temperatures where many other elastomers would become brittle, Viton® retains its elasticity and strength. Due to these characteristics, it is an ideal choice for precision molded parts that require longevity and reliable performance.
- Low compression set. The material’s low compression set allows it to retain its shape and performance capabilities even under harsh conditions. This quality is particularly important in precision molded parts and helps to ensure a long lifespan for components like seals and gaskets.
Types of Products Made with Viton® Fluoroelastomer
Due to its impressive characteristics, Viton® is used to create durable, high-performance products for demanding industries.
Seals and O-Rings
Viton® is extensively used in the manufacturing of seals and O-rings. OEM’s rely heavily on Viton® seals and O-rings due to their ability to withstand harsh operating environments. In aerospace applications, Viton® seals and O-rings ensure reliable performance even when subjected to extreme temperature or pressure changes.
Gaskets and Diaphragms
Viton® produces reliable gaskets and diaphragms for many types of critical systems. Fluid handling, industrial equipment, and medical device applications all frequently rely on Viton® components.
Custom Molded Components
Many types of complex custom-molded components are created from Viton®. Due to this material’s versatility and precision, it’s able to meet many unique and demanding design requirements across a spectrum of critical to function applications.
Viton® Fluoroelastomer Products by RD Rubber Technology Corporation
Viton® fluoroelastomer products are uniquely suited to withstanding industry’s most demanding environments. Due to its impressive chemical resistance, temperature resistance, and low compression set, this material is an excellent choice for creating reliable precision molded rubber parts.
At RD Rubber Technology Corporation, we have over 35 years of experience creating custom rubber seals, gaskets, O-rings, and many other products. As an ISO 9001:2015 – and AS 9001:2016-certified company, we maintain strict quality standards and are committed to meeting our customers’ needs, whether it’s a small order or high-volume production. To learn more about our Viton® rubber products, contact our team today.